
I know it's a long shot but I had to ask. I tried my online group for parents with deaf kids and it resulted in tons of arguments. I got no where.My 10 year old son is deaf. He was born profoundly deaf and has no sense of hearing. He does not benefit from the use of hearing aids or cochlear implants.He loves sports. Loves them. He doesn't watch much TV but when he does he is watching a sporting event. He is always outside playing random sports with the kids in the neighborhood and we have been able to find deaf leagues to put him in. It has been good for him. It has brought us closer to the deaf community and allows my son to play sports with people who communicate the same way.My son wants to switch to community sports. Most of his friends play sports in the community and he feels that his talent is better suited for community and travel teams. I don't think my son is some amazing hot shot athlete but he is a talented player and I can understand why he is bored with his deaf league. It is also a farther commute to practice and games to play other teams in the deaf league. My older son (hearing) played for community teams until he transitioned to middle school sports so I think there is some of that in there as well. They are best friends and he wants to do what his brother did.I'm not sure how this is going to work though. The sports he plays require a substantial amount of communication. The deaf teams were able to address it because everyone was deaf but I think this will be harder on hearing teams. I'm not sure how he is going to be able to understand the play calls or communicate with his teammates when out on the field to court. Is this something we can address with the coaches? Do you think having an interpretor would come across as stepping on the coaches toes? Should we give them a copy of his 504 plan? Any advice would be very much appreciated.If anyone knows of a sub that is better suited then please link below. I need all the help I can get. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2sI48MK
No comments:
Post a Comment