
We were poor when I was a kid. And I knew that. So I very rarely asked for anything, and appreciated what I got. I knew my parents sacrificed for each and every gift under that tree. (And if it wasn't Christmas, or my birthday, then I DEFINITELY wasn't getting anything. No point even thinking about it, much less asking.)But now I'm a parent myself, and I make a great living. I could comfortably afford to buy anything my daughter could reasonably think of without sacrificing at all -- so how do I explain to my four year old daughter why I won't?The real answer is that I'm not trying to raise a future Kardashian -- but "because I'm worried that it will turn you into a terrible person" isn't an age-appropriate response to a four year old.She wants every single thing she sees in a commercial. She once said "I want that!" during a CAR INSURANCE commercial. I'm not even joking.I usually respond "We can't have everything we want, sweetheart." But I don't have a good response for her followup: WHY?What do you recommend?TL;DR How do you explain why you won't buy your 4 year old every toy she wants when money isnt the issue? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2kXWUwV
No comments:
Post a Comment