Sunday, 3 December 2017

Cannot find a safe way for newborn to sleep.


Hello. My baby is a 39 week preemie who was discharged from the NICU on Tuesday.The biggest issue we have is that nowhere seems safe for her to sleep.She has very bad gas and reflux. I was told she would likely grow out of it, but that does not tell me what to do now. When we put her inside of her bassinet or crib, there are incidents where she starts choking on her own spit up from reflux. And it is usually silent. I had to perform CPR on her recently to get her breathing again, and I followed everything I was supposed to do (put her on her back to sleep in a safe bassinet right beside my bed, with no blankets or other items).The only thing that seems to work is cosleeping. But that is a risk for SIDS or crushing incidents. I do not want to risk either of those things, nor do I want to find her too late in her crib choked silently on fluids.Bouncers and chairs work okay, but after a while she sort of slides or slumps over in them, also an airway restriction risk if a parent is not awake to reposition her when it happens.These issues are not new. She choked on refluxed liquid a lot in the NICU too, even with her crib elevated thirty degrees, but there was a team of nurses there 24/7 to resolve it immediately, and even if they didnt notice it themselves the machines monitoring heart and respiration would go off and let them know. We do not have that at home, so the only way to catch it is to just never sleep, or prevent it by reluctantly cosleeping with her elevated in my arms.I do not want to continue having to cosleep due to the hazards that presents, but I do not know what else to do...any advice appreciated. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2zI2auJ

No comments:

Post a Comment