Wednesday, 21 June 2017

What are the rules around healthy eating in your family?


When I was growing up my parents had no idea about nutrition, fried chicken and chips from KFC was considered a healthy meal because 'chicken has protein and potatoes are a vegetable'. I got a milkshake from the local ice cream store on the way home from school every weekday in the summer because 'milk has calcium so it is good for your bones and you need fats if you want to grow breasts, the reason you're flatchested is because you don't eat enough fat' (edit: the reason was because I was 10 and didn't hit puberty until 15) and home cooking meant taking a pizza and some microwave chips out of the freezer and 'cooking' them. I was fed enormous portions (picture an entire twelve inch pizza, half a breakfast bowl of fries, and three cups of frozen peas as one meal for a tiny 10 year old). It was in hindsight a miracle that I wasn't obese.As an adult I am quite weird about food in that I only eat what I consider to be healthy and feel quite bad indulging in unhealthy foods, and I have no concept of portion size whatsoever.When it comes to dessert I pretty much exclusively eat yoghurt or fruit. My boyfriend said that when he was a kid, his mother, as a rule, would always make them eat a portion of fruit before they could have their sweet dessert, something like apple crumble or jelly with ice cream.I had no rules other than that if I didn't finish all my food there'd be yelling. I wonder what sort of rules normal families have about food and meals and dessert etc. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2tvtsBM

No comments:

Post a Comment