
Hello,My 6 year old has autism and deals with extremely high anxiety. I am in the process of trying to get him some professional help to cope with his symptoms but I'm not sure what I can do at home in the mean time.He has a very difficult time spending any time by himself. For example today, I had a phone interview for a job that I really needed so I let him know that I would be in my bedroom with the door closed and not to worry that I was right behind the door. I let him know how important it was that he watch his movie for the 10 minutes or so that I would be on the phone and that I would be right back. I continually reminded him of my phone interview over and over all morning and when the time came for it I continued reminding him as I closed the door.Phone interview commenced and all was well for about five minutes. After about five minutes he began screaming at the door "Aren't you done?! Oh no mommy where are you? Aren't you done?! Oh no mommy is lost she is GONE!" He then proceeded to start kicking and slamming his body up against the door.He started running through the house and yelling. I peeked out to make sure there wasn't an emergency and no he was just running around yelling. I closed the door again after trying to motion to him "one more minute" then he just proceeded to keep yelling through the door. I am assuming the interviewer heard everything because they very quickly ended the interview and went from a very cheerful disposition to very annoyed.I know the easy solutions are either get a sitter (which I was not able to find on such short notice this time) or have him sit next to me in the room, but he has a difficult time understanding that quiet when others on the phone is polite.His anxiety is always this high. The other night I took him for a walk and he screamed at everything from lizards in the road to sounds made from cars streets away. I'm heartbroken. I deal with anxiety myself so I try to help him as much as possible with deep breathing, rational thinking, planning, etc but I'm not sure what else I can do to help him.Please any advice is welcome. He's never slept a night in his own room or played on his own for longer than a few minutes without yelling through the house. We have an appointment with a therapist in a few weeks, and have been working with autism specialists since he was 2. What else can I do?tl;dr: My 6 year old son has autism. His anxiety is so extreme that its severely impacting his quality of life and potentially ruined my chances at a very much needed job today. We have an appt with a therapist coming up, and have been working with him since he was 2 but what others options are available? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2tOQt25
No comments:
Post a Comment