Wednesday, 21 June 2017

Advice wanted: undoing terrible habits


My husband and I are guilty of letting our 5 year old son create terrible sleep habits. While it is true that we have sort of "split" parenting responsibilities- I take care of the infant who has special needs and get her settled in and asleep for the night, and husband is supposed to get the 5 year old settled and ready for bed.Unfortunately, husband has let a lot of things "slide" for a long time now and I've decided I need to step up and take over where he is falling short. So I need advice.The problem- letting our son fall asleep on the couch while watching TV, then moving him to his bed. Husband and I have discussed this issue and I thought had decided that bedtime would now consist of reading stories before lights out in his bed but that hasn't happened.So I have now decided that I need to be in charge of bedtime for both children (the infant is special needs and requires breathing treatments, medications etc before she sleeps). How best to undo the terrible habit, and to get my 5 year old excited about having a "normal" bedtime with washing up, stories and decent night's sleep.I told 5 year old this morning that most kids his age have a set bedtime and that staying up so late watching tv is not ok for a kid his age; he became upset and whined that he "needs tv to fall asleep". So I have a tough road ahead of me. How can I make this "fun" because going the authoritarian route with this kid does not work.Thanks in advance, sorry this is rambling but I've literally been awake all night and at the end of my rope. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2sqrbJJ

No comments:

Post a Comment