Tuesday, 3 January 2017

8th grade boy upset about moving to another state, crying every day


Hi,Thank you for taking the time to read. I have a wonderful boy, 13, a skateboarder who does okay in school. Back in our old home, he was a popular kid, friends, girls, dances, but grades suffered.We had to move due to financial issues, now we are set up nicely in a neighboring state with a nice house and only a 45 minute flight to his old stomping grounds. He visits often, staying with his grandparents. He is the only child, and only grandchild, so he has been a bit coddled and not had to deal with any adversity in life. But he is an amazing human, funny, fun, and we have a good time as a family.Today, after winter break (which included a visit to friends and skateboard camp), he burst into tears and said he hates all the kids in his new school and wants to go live with his grandparents. I told him this will not happen.There are many advantages to his being here, namely being away from a too-big social life and a magnet school system that will allow him to study web development in high school. This would have never been appealing in the old place, as he wouldn't want to be away from his friends. But here, he's into the idea of setting himself up for future success.He has met a couple friends here, but they don't go to his school. We have always been willing to do stuff, take him bowling, skate park, arcade, whatever. He is still unhappy and misses his old friends.I don't think self-harm is a concern but at this age, I don't think one can be sure of anything.How do I help my son adjust to new surroundings? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2iAOf1P

No comments:

Post a Comment