Sunday, 6 November 2016

My [almost] five year old son keeps letting his 3 year old brother out of his room at night!


This might end up a wall. Please bear with me.I've woken up 2 days in a row now to HUGE messes.1) 3yo took a frying pan into the playroom, grabbed a chair and took some butter for the fridge, CLIMBED UP ONTO THE COUNTER TO GET OIL FROM THE CABINET [WHAT THE HECK?!?! How does his mind go there?!] and proceeded to put it all in the pan in the playroom. Luckily it all stayed in the pan! However after we got that taken care of then mom went to the bathroom and at least $50 of makeup was ruined and all over the walls.We did: I) walkthrough and showed him everything that he did, and why it was bad. Took him back into his room and showed him his toys and books that he's allowed to read until we are awake.II)I had a big talk with my older son as to why he can't let his little brother out of his room. He made a big mess and because of his climbing on the counter he could have killed him self.III) put a child lock on the door handle so the older could go potty if need be, but the younger couldn't open the door.III) conversation about how if he needs to go potty he needs to shut the door behind him so little brother doesn't get out.2) I thought this solution was good. Yesterday morning I woke up and I could hear the footsteps in their room. "Good." I thought. I went downstairs to tell the boys how proud I was that they were playing the way they should. Then when I got to their room...popsicles and fudge bars everywhere melted into the carpet. I lost my temper. I snapped. Flying fit o rage I started yelling at them to throw out all of the popsicles and wrappers. They had taken frozen waffles too and those were everywhere.I did I) yelled at them for making a huge mess that I have to clean up. (Using machine to clean fudge out of the carpet) II) in my act of desperation of "I literally don't know what to do or how to handle this" I gave out a spanking with a stern reminder that they are not to leave the room. Remember, I have literally tried everything I could think of before this measure. It was a last resort.Today: woke up to "thud thud thud" of feet. Oh HELL no. I know exactly what that is. I go downstairs to see a chair by the fridge with a step stool on that. I went to the boys room and told them I know they were out and that the younger could have killed himself. And when he's dead he doesn't come back.I did I) raised my voice (even temper this time) and let them know what was wrong. His decisions are affecting everyone else and that he's not thinking about how others are feeling.I) Same with younger brother. You stay in your room until I come to get you. If you're awake you play with toys or read a book. You can't come out.II) more spankings this time not out of anger, but it clicked that it's not changing anything so it's probably not the best route. Again though, being over tired and desperate for a solution has made for a desperate man.What do I do? I'm so tempted to dead bolt the door from the outside! I haven't gotten a peaceful nights sleep in days because I'm so paranoid. My anxiety is through the roof that I'm going to find my youngest dead in the middle of the night because my oldest can't keep the FRIGGIN door closed.And if I do deadbolt the door, what if older gets sick? What if he has to go potty? I'm thinking of a deadbolt and a baby monitor and then he tells me that way.Guys....I'm so out of foreseeable options.Any advice? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2fssmAF

No comments:

Post a Comment