Friday, 3 January 2020

Where kids belong, and where they don’t?


My daughter will turn two in a few weeks, and is really starting to show her toddler side. Both in good ways and bad, of course. She’s happy, talkative, energetic... but she’s also just starting to throw big tantrums once in a while. All fine and healthy, just part of childhood.I know that with these changes also comes adjustments to our regular routines. There are certain things you just can’t bring along a toddler for. Things like committee meetings, going to the library and expecting to just walk in and out with all the books you’d like, going out to eat, etc. We’ll still go grocery shopping, to church, and so on. She just doesn’t have the patience for things like she used to, and so we have to cut back on non-essential activities.Or do we? I mentioned this to my husband the other day, and he didn’t seem to totally agree. (He didn’t really argue, but I could tell he wasn’t on the same page.) It’s always bothered me when people drag their kids along everywhere, regardless of whether the kids can really handle it or not. (We’ve all seen little ones acting up and running around in a restaurant, for example!)Am I in the wrong here? I just think it’s better to avoid the conflict in the first place, rather than expecting too much from your kids, especially young toddlers. But then again, you can’t exactly put your whole life on hold, either. Tantrums are bound to happen no matter what. Besides, kids need practice behaving in the “real world”, right?Thoughts? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/36mGV2b

No comments:

Post a Comment