Friday, 3 January 2020

Son (6) is devastated by not receiving birthday invite - need help with this situation


I teach at a school that busses teacher kids prior to the end of the school day. It’s a wonderful convenience and allows me to work or head home without worrying about carpool lines or commuting to pick up my son. He usually arrives to my school at 2:45ish, and my day doesn’t end until 3.Two of my coworkers (we’re all English teachers in the same grade) have little ones the same age. My son is in Kindergarten due to having a late summer birthday and their kids are in 1st grade. Still, the three boys play every day from 2:45 until at least 3:30 when we start getting ready to go home.One of the coworkers threw a birthday party for her son’s 7th yesterday and invited the other coworker’s son but not mine. The boys are all with us today (teacher 1/2 day work day) and of course the two boys were immediately talking about the party. My son got upset when he found out and asked them why he wasn’t invited and in his words, they said he “wasn’t cool.” They all play great together so I’m thinking the boy’s answer to my son is just him trying to handle a situation he doesn’t understand either.Anyways, after that, my son came back to my room crying to tell me. It took a good bit to get him to calm down and now he’s coloring. He said he doesn’t want to be their friends today (but in true 6 year old fashion said he’ll be their friends next week).I don’t want him to hold a grudge but I also want to protect him from this kind of treatment. The birthday boy’s mother is definitely the type who cares about social status and is extremely judgmental of people. To be honest, I’ve been worried about my son (who has coke bottle glasses, is nerdy, and is clumsy) hanging out with her son because her son has a history of calling people names.Another issue is that there aren’t other kids my sons age at my school to play with and I still have 15 minutes of class to focus on. It will be hard on my teaching and unfair to my students if my attention gets diverted to my son who has to play by himself.How should I address this with my son? Should I keep him from hanging out with the two boys? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/35khtZL

No comments:

Post a Comment