Wednesday, 3 October 2018

I think my 6 year old is depressed.. parents who have been there- can you walk me through?


First of all- I understand depression. When I was my sons age I hated myself, wanted to run away (because I didn't know what suicide was) and hated my life. I began attempting suicide at 12- but my upbringing was less than ideal.So my son- will be 7 soon. First grade. Came home last week and said that he was being bullied. We don't use the word bully as we feel it should be reserved for actual cases of bullying- so I contacted the teacher and asked her if anything was going on, she says no. He's her best behaved child, friends with everyone- no clue what was going on. We coordinate talking to him and long story short he expressed that he feels like people hate him (they dont) and he feels like they are picking on him behind his back if he gets in trouble (they dont) etc.I feel blindsighted. I'm well medicated and have been for years. Self hate and social anxiety for me can only be managed through meds- I feel like I am feeling his feelings right now and am anxious about him. I figured he would have anxiety issues- not this. His father and I have worked so hard to give him a good life in hopes that maybe he would be normal and I feel like I failed majorly. We don't coddle or keep him away from all of life's pain (and struggles) but he lives in a nice clean house, we hug and love him verbally, he's fed and has ample appropreate toys and entertainment for his age. I particularly have been concious of my upbringings shortcomings and work daily to be better.I already have an apointment with the Pedi tomorrow for my youngest, so I will discuss further with them tomorrow. They were willing to screen him early at his last well check since I was worried about anxiety. We declined since he wasn't showing real signs of it (more like showing personality traits of it)Can parents with children (not teens- I've been there and know about that) share with me what happens next? I don't even know if they treat this at this age. I'm terrified to google this issue because I know how poorly it can end) - sorry this got so long- I was trying to keep it short... via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2zQ7pLj

No comments:

Post a Comment