Sunday, 4 March 2018

Wife is more comfortable with dangerous activities than I am and it's creating some problems.


My wife has always been a dare devil. Her parents were free spirits and didn't put much restrictions on her and her brother. Both leaned towards enjoying dangerous activities. My wife worked as a skydive instructor for a few years.I lean more towards the observer category. I would quietly freak out while she did her thing but I would never get involved. We managed our differences fine.It has become an issue as our kids have gotten older. She allows activities that I don't want to allow and paints me as the bad parent. Our son wanted to play football last year and she told him that she was okay with it but he had to ask me. I'm not okay with it and told him no which made me the bad guy. She purchased a trampoline for the kids a couple of Christmas ago without telling me and when I told her I wasn't okay with it she put all of the blame on me for why we had to get rid of it.The most recent is one of our kids wanting a dirt bike. She has told him that she is okay with it but I won't be. That's the truth. I don't think he needs a dirt bike at his age and can't see anything positive coming from it.It's annoying because I can't place restrictions without seeming like the bad guy since my wife will allow them to do almost anything. I think someone needs to be the voice of reason but my kids just think that I am being overprotective and crazy since my wife will allow it.Do I just need to let go of trying to be the responsible one? I have talked to my wife about this so many times but she doesn't get it. I have tried to compromise. She let's them shoot paintballs at each other and I asked that they please put on protective gear. I don't allow football but sign off on all the other sports. I'm fine with biking but not dirt bikes. I will take them to a trampoline park but don't want one at our house. This doesn't satisfy her or the kids. I'm still the evil parent and the kids call me a fun sponge whenever I have to tell them no. I don't know what to do. They are getting older now and I don't want my relationship with them to be ruined as teenagers because they see me as some unreasonable overprotective parent.Edit: Adding information that has come up in the comments. The kids are 11, 10, and 8. I allow them to do many activities that I consider to be dangerous. My oldest is out at a skate park right now. He rode his skateboard there (about 2 miles away) and will ride back. My 10 year old daughter started wrestling this year. They love snowboarding and have done white water rafting. The oldest often goes paintballing with his friends. They all play various sports and have each broken bones. I don't restrict everything. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2teffxn

No comments:

Post a Comment