Thursday, 21 December 2017

This sub has really opened my eyes


In the past few weeks I’ve seen more than a few posts of women saying they’re afraid of the men in their lives.Not all the time, maybe just when he loses his temper. Or when he gets real tired and grouchy. Things like that, sometimes mentioned only in passing. But each time I’ve read it, that part always stands out to me.And the weird part is, the comments rarely seem to address it. They’ll discuss the relationship in general and the kids (this is r/parenting after all) but the idea that a woman is genuinely afraid of their partner, that is somehow normal?And then I realized, I was looking at if from a male perspective. I’ve never, ever been in a relationship where I was afraid of my partner physically. I’m not even a big dude, but I don’t think I’ve ever been with someone I couldn’t for sure overpower if I had to. And I think for a woman, most relationships have got to be on the other side of that.So, for most women, it must be absolutely terrifying to have someone losing their shit and you have no chance of physically controlling this person. And what’s more, that has got to be a nearly universal experience. No one talks about it because it IS kind of a constant. And I’m the slow one for not realizing sooner that yeah, it is scary to have a person way bigger than you yelling and screaming.And then I thought about the times I’ve lost my temper, yelling and slamming shit in my house, and how brave my wife must be to stand up to that. Even though she knows I would never hurt her, it’s got to be scary.And how must it feel for a kid to see that? A literal giant capable of destroying your whole world, no idea what’s going to happen. That’s a whole other rabbit hole.I’m gonna try to do better, I guess is what I’m saying. Thanks for listening y’all. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2BtPYmx

No comments:

Post a Comment