
I have a 5 1/2 year old boy who has been sneaking sweets while we sleep. I'll put my snacks/holiday goodies in high places (on top of cabinets/tall bookshelves etc) and he will get out of his room in the middle of the night and use chairs and items to get them down, eat them, then hide the wrappers under his bed.I have tried looser rules with healthy snacks; a whole drawer of snacks in the fridge he can eat at any time so we know his is not doing this out of hunger. I ended up adding a lock to a drawer in my desk to put things in, but sometimes I forget and put them back in the cupboard or on top of a tall (6ft) bookcase out of habit.At this point I guess I am unsure how we should proceed. I have asked his pediatrician about this, and she was not worried about anything medically. He knows this is wrong, but it keeps happening. I feel I should not have to keep things locked away to have things in the home. It only happens overnight when I am asleep as I keep my room locked at all other times. I am not going to lock my door at night in case there is an emergency.I have already had enough negative comments about be being a 'bad parent' for having food that he can't have in the house, and for not letting him eat what he wants when he wants on other forums asking this question. Any thoughts or steps I could take to stop this sneaking would be much appreciated :-) via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2BKPV2E
No comments:
Post a Comment