Tuesday, 20 June 2017

PLEASE HELP 14 year old isn't graduating 8th grade


I need all the help I can get. I'm am frustrated and hopeless and I don't know what else to do.My daughter is 14, and in 8th grade. I just found out from her guidance counselor that she will not be graduating 8th grade. (Graduation is in 2 days). She failed multiple classes this year, and I just found out that she failed too many to graduation. The kicker is, she does not have to repeat the grade. She also does not have to go to summer school. The only punishment she will have is socially, not being able to attend the graduation.My daughter has many issues. She has an IEP, documented learning disability and faces tremendous amounts of anxiety academically AND socially. I am on the phone right now with the school because I do not think it is right they they would punish her socially, but NOT academically. They will push her along to high school, but want to shame her. She is not a bad kid. She has learning disabilities among other things. I don't know what to do.I don't know how she will handle high school. We live in New York where students are required to take regents exams. My daughter will NOT pass these tests. I opted her out of the state tests, but regents cannot be opted out of. I am so lost and don't know what to do. I cannot afford to send her to private school. I feel as though we are getting the short end of the stick because we are upper middle class, white, and my daughter is a female. The district has pushed her along through the system for as long as possible. She will not pass high school. I don't know what to do for this kid anymore. They continue to push her even right now (ie allowing her to continue to high school even though she failed many classses, and only punishing her socially)I don't know what to do anymore. She has an IEP, we are in contact with the teachers. I don't know what else there is to do. I simply cannot afford to send her anywhere else than our public school. I am desperate for help. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2rOPgv2

No comments:

Post a Comment