
My daughter was drawing a yin yang symbol at school one day and another student, one of her friends, came up to her and noticed. Her friend came up and said "You shouldn't draw that, it's against God."My daughter, as she's telling me this story, starts ranting. Some backstory, we aren't religious. I teach the kids how to think and not what to think and do not give them criticism for exploring their beliefs and values. So she starts saying "How does she even know God is real? She can't look up and see him. It doesn't even make sense. And even if he was real, how does she know he doesn't like my drawings? It's just a drawing."I let her go on for a few moments, and then I ask her "Well, what did you say to her when she said that?""Nothing. It's not my job to tell her what to believe or think. I was just thinking all of this in my head when she said it."I was super proud. Even though the situation clearly upset her, she stopped and thought about how her actions would affect her friend and her relationship with her. I love this age. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2iE1GRi
No comments:
Post a Comment