
To start, we are very grateful that our child has four doting grandparents. We wouldn't trade them for the world. I don't want to sound ungrateful but I need to vent/ask for some advice. This was only the second Christmas for us but we are worried about things getting out of hand in the future and are lost at how to address it. For reference, for her first birthday, we requested that things were kept small. We don't have a lot of room in our house for storage. We only got her a pair of shoes and some animal magnets for the fridge. From grandparents she got a stuffed animal bigger than she is, a cozy coupe, a child size armchair, building blocks, mega blocks, shape sorter, and more outfits than I can remember. We were asked for our specific requests prior to Christmas and gave a short list to each set of grandparents (different to avoid doubles bc feelings were hurt last year that a one year old received doubles and things had to be returned...). Again, my spouse and I kept it small at our house (an outfit, a sing along DVD, and two small toys). We have been to one sides christmas where she received nothing off of the list provided but so many gifts it was packed. She got a play set she already had, and they knew she had. Among a bunch of other things she received, she also got another chair.. We had previously expressed our frustration with getting that chair after her birthday. So why would we want another one that we don't have room for?? Am I awful for returning it and buying her something different? Or even just using that money for something else she might need? They will know if it isn't at the house the next time they come over. I would have to explain where it went. We haven't been to the other side Christmas yet but have seen a picture of the tree and we are already concerned based on the amount of presents that are there. How do you handle telling grandparents to back off at Christmas and birthdays? We both grew up with holidays being a big deal and have discussed that we want to keep it more modest at our own house. We also think that getting stockings at three houses as she grows up is too much, because candy.I want Christmas to be special at OUR house but feel like I keep getting overshadowed by grandparents to the point that we go to the other extreme and get her next to nothing knowing they will go overboard. I don't know if they are trying to compete with each other or just get off on surprises. We both just want to tell them that they have had their chances to have a grand Christmases and it was years ago when we were kids. Now it's our turn! So, how do we tell them that they are doing too much? Is there any good way to do it without offending them or hurting feelings? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2j1YmQr
No comments:
Post a Comment