Friday, 24 January 2020

UPDATE: WFH with infant and convincing husband post - we have a plan


I got so much incredible feedback on this thread, I wanted to post an update. (link to original post https://ift.tt/2uwC7ZK husband and I were at a crossroads, but I laid out three options with pros and cons:One included him really hustling with work while I am a SAHM and handle his books, bills and marketing (that's my profession) as well as most daily household chores until baby hits preschool. We would take a massive hit financially at the start until we move to my parents ranch down the road, but it would motivate him to make things happen with his business sooner. (he got pretty defensive about this plan, which I understand since it's a lot of pressure on him). The 2nd plan has us splitting our work - I work outside of the house for 3 10/hr days a week while he takes care of baby, animals and ranch chores and then we switch and he works 4 10hr days while I take care of baby/house/ranch. This would be temporary until his business builds or we are able to move up to my parent's ranch to save on rent (6mos-1year). Then I would become a SAHM and he would focus on ramping up business. Our time together as a family would take a huge hit with this scenario, but it would be temporary. The 3rd option was his career takes a backseat and we really focus on building my career back up which means I'd go back to working 40+ hrs/week outside of the house, we would have to stay near a city and either have full time daycare or he stays home with baby.After some major pushback and tough discussion, we have decided option 2 is what is best for us all to start with. We will give it a shot to split our week up and truly share parenting/work duties until we are able to move to the family ranch and save money at which point I will transition to a full-time SAHM and he'll revamp his business. It's not ideal, but it's an option that feels more realistic. I think we can buckle down for a year max and spend evenings together as a family. If his business stays how it's been, he'll have random half days or full days off along the way that we can spend together.I wanted to say a huge thank you to you all for your guidance and the massive reality check I was given. I needed it and it helped me feel more prepared while he and I worked through this. I think there is a chance handling the childcare for those three days on his own will help him realize how much work it really is and get re-energized with his business sooner, but if not, it's an option that hopefully won't run us both into the ground. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2NYcXtU

No comments:

Post a Comment