
My 17 backed out of our driveway tonight to run to town and get her and her sisters some Macdonald’s. She’s been home studying for exams all day and needed to get out. Backing out of the drive, (it’s steep) and into our neighbour’s visitor’s work truck. It was parked on the road at the end of our driveway. The road we live on is not regular width. Snow banks on either side. What I’m trying to say- all ideal conditions for an incident to happen.Her 11 year old sister came running in asking for help. I go out and she’s they’re both okay. Visible upset.Neighbor and friends are having some drinks in the garage and I knock and explain. They said “we heard a bang”They come out and look. Pretty good dent in both vehicles.Daughter and I start apologizing. These two big men get down and bump the dent back out of the car. That belongs to my husband. He let our daughter have it the weekend as he’s away. She’s had it literally 12 hours. One pulls a sharpie out of his pocket and colours in some small scratches.They tell us theirs is fine. It’s a work truck- no big deal, it’s had worse.I offer to exchange info- he declines. I tell him we will pay, whatever. He’s chill- like don’t worry about it.Daughter cries for ever. Finally I make her get in the car with me in the passenger seat and drive us to town.We call her dad. He says everyone’s ok. No big deal. We’ve texted the neighbor multiple times “let us know if you change your mind about insurance” “thanks for being so understanding” etc.We get home from town, the kid calms down and she texts him and apologizes. Then grabs a couple beers and takes them over. Thanks him for popping out the dent. For being kind and understanding.She’s calm. The neighbor seems okay. My husband called him to square things up. Everyone’s chill.I’m pretending I’m chill but the house is quiet. The daughter has calmed down and I’m freaking out.Was I right to make her drive after? Should I take away the car? It was just an accident? Would I feel better if they just let us pay for damages? What would I do if she ever got hurt? What if she’s too scared to drive now?Omg.... this is a bummer. I want my husband. Just needed to vent. I have super bad anxiety that I hide from almost everyone and a huge trigger for me are dealing with things I cannot control. Thanks for readingTLDR kid had her first minor accident. Everyone’s ok. Vehicles are fine-ish. No one is mad. Still super upset and unsettled. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2uoVkwG
No comments:
Post a Comment