
My son is 5 years old at the moment. Just the other day we were getting a bus home from school, and this little shit (who shall henceforth be referred to as LS) gets on with us. This kid is a nightmare, and my son sometimes gets dragged into his misbehaviour when it happens, but it is rare. I can handle it if it occurs.Well, a kid from my sons class gets on the bus too, a Polish kid, who will be called PK now. LS starts calling PK names, and tries to get my son to do the same.I sit back and watch. Give my son time to choose what he will do.And he looks at LS and says "no. I won't do that". He gives a reason (which is a little shaky and a bit weird, but that doesn't matter, he chose the right thing) and refuses to call PK names. LS tries to continue, and keeps calling PK names.Now that my son has had his moment, I stepped in and said "hey, that's not nice is it?" And LS shuts his mouth. Gets off the bus shortly after.When he's gone I tell my son i'm proud of him for making a good choice and refusing to bully someone, even though a friend was telling him to do it. I told his mum, my fiancee, and she told him the same thing. She's proud of him.I have had my doubts about parenting. I'm a stepdad, and have been in my sons life since he was 2. I've dealt with temper tantrums, running away from us in town, wet beds, nightmares and everything else in between. And this moment, this moment right here is what tells me that whatever else happens in my life, i'm doing this parenting thing right. If I can raise him to not be a bully, and to consider other peoples feelings, nothing else matters to me. He's a good kid, and we're doing a good job.Thanks, if you read through all that. I just wanted to share.TLDR: My son refused to bully someone, despite another kid pressuring him. I am proud of his choice. via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2Si7SNk
No comments:
Post a Comment