Friday, 18 May 2018

Son(16)'s best friend almost died of an overdose and we think it was intentional


My two youngest (16M) who we'll call H and E have a friend who we'll call T. H is closer to T than E is, but H and E have both been friends with T since they were in kindergarten. Now I've always known that T's home life isn't the best- it's just him and his mom, and both seem to have a predisposition to depression and T's mother's then-boyfriend ended up doing time for a DV charge, but I always thought everything would turn out alright for him. He's a bright kid, nicest person you'll ever meet, and acts on a check on what my wife calls H's "wannabe frat boy" tendencies.Two weeks ago H wanted to hang out with T and went to his house, only to find him passed out on the bed barely breathing with a blue tint to to his lips. H called 911 and then me, (I'm the designated emergency contact because I can get out of work easier than their mother) and I picked him up and took him to the hospital (E called to tell me he was going to the hospital with a couple of friends and that one of their mothers was driving).H kept up the stoic teen act for about twenty minutes before he told me to pull over and stress vomited profusely onto the shoulder and that kind of brought the act down. I managed to calm him down after about twenty minutes and brought him to the hospital. We spent the better part of the day there before going home around 1 in the morning. My wife and I told them both we'd let them stay home the next couple of days if the wanted. We left them to their own devices for a little while before I went to bed around 4 in the morning and peered in E's room to see H and E both curled up together, which they used to do all the time when they were little.That was two weeks ago. Since then H has been withdrawn and he lashes out at people for simple things and stays in his room most of the day, which is totally unlike him. Normally H is the outgoing three-sport-a-year jock type and E is the faux-moody artsy intense one. E says even he can't get him to talk in anything other than blunt sentences. He doesn't want to talk to anyone, he doesn't want to hang out with his other friends, his teachers say he's been withdrawn and taciturn, and he seems angry at everything.H also doesn't want to go visit T. T woke up early that morning but couldn't talk for the first 48 hours or so. He says he has no memory of the week before his suicide attempt. We still don't know how long T went without breathing, but he's still having trouble with anything more than simple addition and with putting letters together to make words longer than a few letters. Occasionally when talking he'll blank on simple words and struggle to figure out what he's trying to say. He still has to be helped along when walking (E took him on a few laps of the hospital floor the other day) T's mother says his doctors say they expect him to recover eventually, but they're not sure to what extent.The thing is that he keeps asking for H and where H is. I feel bad for the kid because he's missing out on his best friend and I'm not sure he's really processing why H might be angry with him. Every time I suggest to H that he go see T he says no.Anyway, the other day my wife suggested we should be taking H to see a therapist who we call Dr. Adam. He was the therapist that their sister (23, we'll call her A) saw all through middle school (in her case it was because unfortunately her aspergers and the cliquey, sociopathic Heatheresque girls at her middle school didn't mix well). A responded well to him and he knows our family already (admittedly E and H were both 9 the last time A was seeing him) I'm at my wits end and kinda just want the old H back. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2GusAmc

No comments:

Post a Comment