
Our 20 month old is extremely quick at figuring out what to say to get out of doing things she doesn't want to do, and she's very persistent about getting her way. Her most hated activity is sleeping in any capacity. I've found that the best way to get her to sleep with as little drama as possible is to hold her and rock her in the glider in her room, and maybe hum a quiet song or something, before putting her down while she's drowsy but awake. However, she usually spends her time thinking up various things she "needs" at that second (i.e., she's thirsty, or she's got to poop, or she will say "I peed. Change?" every two minutes, or she'll ask for another book, or ask to brush her teeth again... you name it), or else she will try to find some way to change the subject or distract me from trying to get her to sleep like she'll try to start silly conversations ("Mommy fart?" "No, I didn't fart." "...Sissy fart?" with everyone we know, asking if everyone has a nose or if everyone cries, etc.) so I usually get annoyed after she keeps throwing out demands and trying different tactics and tell her if she does it one more time, no rocking, straight to bed. And I'll do it. But then she cries hysterically for a long time and I feel like the worst mommy ever.I make sure she's had a drink, and that she's not hungry before bed, I read her 3 books, sit there and talk to her for awhile, change her diaper, basically anything I can think of to make sure she's ready and she still does this. I will say, "No, you can't brush your teeth again. You can either sit with Mommy in the chair and try to relax or you can go in your bed." Each time she tries a new thing... it's just so exhausting. My older one didn't really do this; she did when she was much older but by then I could just tell her to get her butt to bed, lol. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2Gxfkxi
No comments:
Post a Comment