
My daughter is an Octonauts enthusiast. I got her a huge bag of Octonaut toys on craigslist and she plays with them non-stop, even taking an Octonaut with when we go somewhere. She gets to watch one episode a day, always at the same time, after she has teeth brushed and pjs on but before her bedtime story. It is pretty much the highlight of her day, after she gets her pjs on she announces "It's. TIME. FOOOOR. OCTONAUTS!!!"So there she was, pj clad and set up with the ipad, ready to watch Octonauts. The theme song plays, and then the power goes out. No more internet, which means no more Octonauts."Oh," she says, "This episode isn't working. That's ok, this one has the scary lava. I don't like lava. It makes me too hot."I look at my husband and he gives me the same pained look back. We have no choice, we have to tell her. "Oh, honey, the power went out. We're not going to be able to watch Octonauts tonight."Total and complete meltdown followed, which is what we expected. Screaming, crying, asking why over and over, demanding Octonauts, yelling "but I brushed my teeth! I brushed my teeth! I got my molars!" But then, only a few minutes into said meltdown, she sniffled, composed herself, and took my husband up on his offer to play a game instead. They happily played The Penguin Game. There was another mini meltdown when we announced it was time for bedtime book after the game was done, but she quickly moved through it.I've never seen her respond that well to disappointment, especially for something as serious as her beloved Octonuats. I'm hoping this is a sign of things to come, that the era of the long meltdowns is over. Even if this is just a one time thing and there are more epic meltdowns to come, it was pretty great.Anyway, I wanted to share this story with a group that might get why I'm so psyched and proud of her. Thanks for listening! via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2rLIcgL
No comments:
Post a Comment