Tuesday, 6 March 2018

Tell me about sensory processing disorder


My bright 5.5 year old (born in August) has been having trouble in kindergarten. Her teachers have told us she isn't participating in class and isn't socializing with other kids. We had a developmental assessment done, and the nurse thinks she has Sensory Processing Disorder.She has problems with loud noises. She's a very picky eater, but (seemingly paradoxically to me) will put things that aren't food in her mouth, and sucks her thumb. I have ordered some silicone chew jewelry for her, on recommendation of the nurse who assessed her. I also ordered her some noise-reducing ear muffs. We're planning to do occupational therapy.One problem: she has a 2.5 year old brother. That makes it difficult to keep the noise down at home- he is still learning how and when to use his "inside voice".I have never been diagnosed (this wasn't a thing back when I was a kid), but I think I might have something like this, too. I never liked loud noises, particularly sudden loud noises, as a kid (I still jump if the fire alarm goes off, and I'm 43). I never liked activities like finger painting where I had to get my fingers messy. I'm a moderately picky eater, particularly around texture- I was worse as a kid, but gelatinous textures still make me want to heave.tl;dr: Please tell me your experiences with Sensory Processing Disorder, either yours or your kid's. I'd like to hear your recommendations, commiserate with you, or hear how your kid had this and turned out OK. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2D3LbUP

No comments:

Post a Comment