
So every morning I ride my adult tricycle (with a basket in back...it’s very wide takes up whole sidewalk) to bring my daughter to kindergarten. She goes in the afternoon so we leave at 11:15 when it’s not very traffic-y. I always have her scooter on the sidewalk while I bike alongside in the bike lane. Today an elderly man on a bike was riding toward her on the sidewalk. He stopped next to her and then yelled at me saying how it was unsafe of me to ride next to her and that I should ride with her on the sidewalk. I explained that my tricycle is wide in the back and I feel bad for taking up the sidewalk if pedestrians are walking which is why I stay in the bike lane. He went on and on about how I can just stop for a pedestrian and move to the side if I was on the sidewalk with her. He added that I need to teach my daughter to stay on the right and on and on. Finally, I just said, “Ok, I understand.” Because it was getting late and I had to get her to school. So honestly, what do you all think is the right protocol for biking with small kids? I always remind her to stay on the right when someone is coming but typically everyone just walks to one side and she goes on her way. I also use a tricycle because I am an amputee and it’s safer for me to bike on 3 wheels vs two. Anywho, am I doing the right thing and just ran into a crotchety old man or have I been putting my daughter in danger by riding next to her? I neglected to ask him why he wasn’t biking in the bike lane but I was taken so off guard by his yelling that I couldn’t think fast enough and wanted to get away from him. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2FgDlsM
No comments:
Post a Comment