Monday, 5 March 2018

6 & 9 yr old boys and (screenless!) toys?


Hi! First time posting, so I hope this is the right place (if there’s better place to post this I’m all ears!) for my question. I also posted this on r/Mommit.Basically the title...I have 2 boys, ages 6.5 and very nearly 10. Like any kids they love screens and when it’s playtime they’d go for their Xbox or a tablet every time if it were up to them, especially the older one. They do get time for that but it’s pretty limited (thanks parental controls) and when their time runs out, or if they’re already out of time when we say “find something to do, go play,” more and more often I’m hearing that there’s nothing else for them to do.Let me say - I am totally a believer in not solving this for them, not rescuing them from boredom, I know that coming up with something to do on their own is important, i am aware of the pitfalls of instant gratification and the benefits of struggling and problem solving, I use the “either find something to do or I can easily give you a chore” approach regularly, etc.Having said that, I feel like having toys/activities available to choose from that are age/level-appropriate is pretty normal and I do think they’ve outgrown many of the things we have in the house, so it made me want to ask...For those who have or know kids this age, what kinds of toys/activities do you see them reach for when screens or playing outside aren’t an option?Thanks! 😊 via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2H4CFah

No comments:

Post a Comment