Monday, 2 January 2017

Should I let my toddler bring a tiny toy with little parts to bed?


My sweet little boy turns 2 in a few days. He's been a good sleeper, mostly, for over a year.Last night, he wanted to bring his favorite Christmas present to bed. It's a 2-inch cheap little plastic digger toy with joints at the arm and scoop. He's positively obsessed with construction equipment, and when I took him to bed, he wailed "DIGGER!" for about five minutes before I could distract him and calm him down. Which I did- it was perfectly fine in the end- but it's likely to happen again tonight, and for the next X nights.On one hand, the little movable parts break off with any significant pressure, and would potentially present a choking hazard. (He doesn't have a habit of sticking random things in his mouth, but you never know.) I also don't like the idea of him staying up and playing with the digger until he's exhausted.On the other hand, I generally want to say yes to little things that bring him happiness unless there's a strong reason not to. Bedtime has been a really fun ritual, and I don't want to spoil it by fighting about this every night. Further, it won't be terribly long before he's in a big-boy-bed instead of a crib, and can bring anything he likes to bed.What do you think? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2ivqOqR

No comments:

Post a Comment