Friday, 24 January 2020

Struggling with a suddenly hateful/negative 4 yo


My son will be 4 in 3 weeks. He goes to daycare during the day and as expected picked up some bad habits. At first it was silly stuff like calling someone a “Diaper Head” or “Purple Ball Face” like literally any random words could be linked together for an insult but obviously bodily fluids were very popular. This, while annoying, wasn’t awful and we would redirect and it was okay. He still has his fun of making up names but we explained mean vs funny and he seems ok with it.My new problem is within the last month he has had some very adult expressions that I would very much put on a Negative column. When he gets mad because we say No to something he will cry and whine and when that doesn’t work he will scream “I hate you! Go away I never want to see your face again (or I don’t want to see your face right now)” kick and scream and throw an epic tantrum. The first few times he did this we were like Woah! Not cool kid, we get you’re made but you can’t say Hate or Go away like that to your parents. Try and hug it out, move on and he obviously would not get whatever the original no was for.This is continuing on though, this cycle of “No cookies”—“I hate you, go away I don’t want to see your face right now” except now when my husband tries to hug it out with him he REFUSES to kiss my husband. Now he will even say “Boys don’t kiss boys, boys only kiss girls” this is why I am concerned there is no way in hell he picked that up here. His uncle is gay, we are all a very affectionate family but he also knows he doesn’t have to kiss someone if he doesn’t want too. Like at Christmas he told his Grandma, “No thanks, you smell weird” she totally does wear too much perfume he gave her a high five instead lol.What do I do? Is this normal for a 4 year old? I really don’t want him to continue on with this hateful stuff. Admittedly, stress has been high at home, my work contract ended and my husband was laid off last year and we are figuring out our new normal, but it’s not like some toxic home where everyone is arguing and killing each other (that’s what I grew up in). I just want to stop this from growing too big. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2tLlBoI

No comments:

Post a Comment