
I don't know if this is the right place, but there are very few support forums for parents dealing with mentally ill children out there...Our child is bipolar and it's been a long painful road. We've survived a few suicide attempts, a few hospitalizations, and largely have not had a ton of relief. After a few years trying a handful of drugs, none of them have provided adequate relief, some have made things worse, and some have improved some things like sleep and appetite but not really depression.I think at this point she's feeling dejected, hopeless, and like if all the meds so far haven't helped, what's the point of continuing to try. She's also refused therapy and had no interest in any lifestyle modifications. She's recently been talking about stopping treatment which scares us. We still have some leverage in that we are financially supporting her and can always pull the "if you want to live here and have us support you there are things you will need to do" card, however that is likely to force her to run away and be homeless and untreated. Obviously that is a last resort and a scary one.This is a hard situation. And generally know the right answer is to be supportive, but set boundaries, and to not let them ruin your life if they're unwilling to accept help and follow the rules.I'm really struggling myself however. While I "know" what the right way to handle this is I feel so stressed and terrible about all this. I'm so scared. As a parent I feel like I have to protect my child, but that conflicts with the reality that at some point you may have to accept that you can't help your child if they won't help themselves. Thinking I need may need to let them go and make destructive choices they may not survive makes me feel like a horrible parent who doesn't care, but there is no real alternative because you cannot force another adult to do what you think they should. I feel essentially stuck between emotionally feeling like I have to keep them safe and logically knowing I can't.I'm going to try and schedule some session with a therapist to help me through this. But if anyone has navigated this and has an advice, wisdom or just sympathy I'm all ears. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2N0Tc4G
No comments:
Post a Comment