
So in about 4 weeks me and my husband have to fly with our 18 month old on two flights. One is a short flight but we also have an 11 hour flight and the toddler will be on our laps.We tried to find a way to have a separate seat but we simply can’t afford it. The airline did tell us on the phone that this flight often has at least a couple of empty seats in the middle of the week so we should ask at the airport if we can be seated with an empty seat with us. They told us that they try to give families with a lap baby this if possible. I believe they even put something on our booking about this, they were super nice and kept insisting that we have to remind the check in and gate people that we have a lap child and would appreciate an empty seat.We weren’t planning to fly right now but we had a medical emergency and really have to and can’t put it off longer than the month and a half we have (to save our paychecks and get cheaper tickets than flying around new years). It a crappy situation with a lot of stress. *Basically : doctors here (my home country) don’t recommend doing a procedure here because they aren’t familiar with the type of medical equipment in me and after a few months of consulting with the device manufacturer they strongly suggest we fly to my husbands country where I had previous procedures while we lived there. It’s an unexpected expense and we will be away from work for a while because of it. Thankfully my husband will be able to do some things remotely.I’m fine to fly and it’s safe. My only worry is how to keep my toddler happy. I’m planning to let her run around the terminals and get energy out. Luckily both the fly out and the layover airports have some pretty fun large kids areas with lots of entertainment.During the flight I plan to take her on walks up and down the aisle to get some movement. I’m bringing some toys that she likes to sort and play with for a while. We also are getting a few new things to keep her interested long. Also some stickers and post-it notes to mess around with. Hasn’t really been into screens but probably can get 5 minutes here and there entertained by electronics.I’m packing a variety of snacks that hopefully can be an event on themselves and give her some entertainment.Our long flight departs at 5pm. We’re trying to have bedtime be around 8-9pm. Right now it’s 10pm. We’re hoping this might mean that after a busy day of traveling she might fall asleep after a few hours into the flight and hopefully just have her night time sleep on our laps.I am very worried though. I don’t want to disturb other people on the flight and I’m not sure how the logistics will work, for example having the tray down for a meal with her in our laps. Can it fit down? Should we eat in turns and in that case can we have the flight attendants hold a tray for us so our kid doesn’t just smash it? She eats well at a table but I imagine having stuff so close to her while in a cramped space might be tricky.Anyone who has experienced flying with a toddler in their lap I’m looking for tips and suggestions!Any items I might not be aware of? We’re taking loads of diapers in our carry on with spare clothes and some baby medicine just Incase too.Edit : I forgot to add that I still nurse at night time and a few times during the day so I plan to nurse on demand to help her relax. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/35upAD9
No comments:
Post a Comment