
I don’t know how my wife does it. As a stay-at-home Mom, she absolutely crushes it. Everyday I come home from work, the kids are happy (usually because my wife got them out of the house on some adventure), dinner is planned, the house is clean...things are just done. And my wife, although obviously tired from her full work day, is in a great mood.Today, I stayed home with my two kids (4m F and 3M) while my wife went to work (per diem) for a bit. The morning started off great. Baby girl was happy, drooling and cooing like a normal baby. My son was playing with his trucks and telling me about how they were going to race. Baby and I played with him too, which they both seemed to enjoy.Around first bottle time, I get the bottle and baby ready and it starts off really well. I pause the bottle to burp her and she starts to get fussy. I figure she’s just hungry, so I go back to the bottle after she burps. She plays with the bottle, still fussy, so I think maybe this is a good time to go upstairs where it’s quiet to finish the bottle and start a nap.This is where it all went wrong.I don’t know any other way to explain the type of crying that she went into other than saying I knew she was physically hurt. I tried and checked everything. Diaper clean and loose. Nothing foreign inside her diaper. No marks, bug bites, hairs, rashes, sores, reactions...nothing. All of her limbs seem to work and not be sensitive. Toes and fingers fine. Nothing in her eyes or ears or mouth. Doesn’t want to be held, horizontal or vertical. Doesn’t want to lay down flat on the bed, floor or crib...but doesn’t want me to hold her, rock her, sing, hum, or calm her down in any way, in general.After about 45 minutes of sheer screaming, i give up. I call my wife and beg her to help me figure out a plan.I don’t want to do this. I know it stresses her out. She says she’ll come home immediately, as my daughter is screaming in the background. I don’t want to give up. I want to be that strong father who can handle these situations. I want to be like my wife - I want to be able to care for the kids by myself. I want to take them on adventures, and keep them both engaged, and have everyone be happy when she gets home from work.But I can’t. I’m not that Dad. My daughter does not respond to me the way she does with my wife. And I’m not strong enough, or smart enough, or patient enough to figure out how my wife does it.I failed. My wife came home from work and baby cheered right up. She took her to work with her so she could finish her day. My wife went to work...with my daughter...because I could not handle her at home by myself.I don’t know why I’m posting here. Maybe there are other dads out there that feel this way. What are you doing to make this work? How did you get to this point? Where am I going wrong?Anyways. Thanks for reading if you made it this far.Tired Dad. via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2Kx7nyx
No comments:
Post a Comment