Saturday, 22 June 2019

My 17 year old son, due to graduate, was expelled from high school


My son is 17, and he was due to graduate high school at the end of the month. He was recently expelled from high school, however, for plagiarizing (stealing someone else's ideas or words and not giving them credit for it) on a significant amount of his final English paper. He is well aware of what plagiarism is, and he knowingly plagiarized on his paper. He was planning on going into college for an engineering degree and had actually been accepted into a really good college, but he probably won't be able to do it now. No higher academic institution AT ALL will accept him because of his plagiarism. It left a huge permanent stain on his academic record. Worst of all, he doesn't care. He was like "ya, I know what plagiarism is, but I don't care". I am BEYOND DISAPPOINTED in him, because he used to be so great in school and always made a great effort in everything he did. Now that's all out the window. All I can do now is hope that he gets a good entry-level job and is smart with his money so he can live comfortably. It's so angering because he was well in the ballpark of college, but not anymore, and he doesn't even care. How can I make him care and realize what he's done? I don't want him to do something WORSE in the future, such as assault, and not care. Advice?! via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2Y6k3jc

No comments:

Post a Comment