Saturday, 22 December 2018

Potty training regression after new baby


My DD just turned 3 two months ago and we have been potty training on and off for about 6 months. At first it was a nightmare, she would only tell us after she had an accident. Then we moved, and for a month before the move she was back in diapers because I could not handle the extra stress and laundry being pregnant and trying to move as well. It started back as just diapers at night and then progressed to at night and in the car (I was tired of cleaning the carseat, and the cover was falling apart it had been washed so many times) and then all of the time. Once we were settled into the place after a few weeks, we began potty training again. At first it was frustrating again, but then something clicked and everything was great, poop and pee went into the potty everytime. She would tell us when we were out she needed to go and just go herself when we were home. I only asked her to go anytime we left the house or left a store. She still had accidents when sleeping, but during the day she was dry. I was only a few days away from a scheduled csection when my SIL asked if my DD could have a sleepover. At 1am the night of her first sleepover, I went into labor. And at 4am that morning her sister was born via csection. My mom, being out of work, volunteered to watch DD at our home while DH and I stayed in the hospital for a few days. The very first day DD was brought up to visit her new sister, she had an accident and SIL had left her extra clothes at home. No big deal, she hung out in the room bare bottomed while SIL and MIL went out and got her a new outfit and panties (we live almost an hour away, so stores were much closer than home). That night she went to our home with my mom. She came to visit every day we were there (for 3 days) and had an accident every time. She started acting out in the hospital and DH lost his temper and fussed at her. I told him to cut her some slack, she's had a lot going on, first sleepover, first time being away from us for more than just a couple of hours, and a new sister. He did, but she continued to act out and have accidents. Once we were home and settled in with the new baby, she still continued to wet herself and poop her pants. It's slowly gotten worse, to the point where now she doesn't even tell us that she's wet. We find out only when we ask her to use the potty. Asking her to use the potty usually results in her throwing a tantrum. Sometimes I will take her to potty and then not 5 minutes later she will wet herself. Anytime I go out (which has been a lot with all of the Dr appointments we've had for the baby) I have to bring at least 3 extra outfits. I am exhausted, and I am so sick of having to wash a full load of pee soaked clothes on top of the normal laundry that I couldn't stay on top of. I'm stressed out and sleep deprived and starting to get extremely irritated. She doesn't even try anymore even if we offer incentives. It's been a month and I am losing my mind.How long is this regression supposed to last? What can I do to stop it? Please help! via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2GKQHmq

No comments:

Post a Comment