
In a nutshell, my son's bio dad (Frank) has never really been a part of his life and my son wants to reach out now. We've never really talked about Frank much, maybe a few times here and there over the years, asking where he is. Frank is a drug addict and has been since before I even met him. I found out, broke up with him, surprise I'm pregnant. Frank has been in and out of jail ever since, and also had 3 other children. My husband (Bob) has been in my son's life since he was about 8. They are very close and Bob treats my son like his own.Recently my son said he wants to get in touch with Frank to ask him some questions such as:Why haven't you been in my life?Why can't you quit drugs?Why are you in and out of jail?Do you love me and think about me?Etc etcI've explained drug addiction to him and how badly it can mess up people's priorities. That I'm sure Frank loves him, but he is controlled by his addiction. The other night my son confessed he thought Frank would be like the guys on That 70's Show. He would get high and make funny jokes, but overall a pretty normal person. So then I had to explain what a drug addict is really like.I told him I would get in contact with his dad and see about setting up a phone call. I'm only hesitant because in the past Frank has called, clearly messed up, and said some off the wall comments. Well turns out he's in prison, again. I pulled up the prisons website to show my son when he went in, what for, and for how long. It also shows prior convictions including burglary and fraud. My son is pretty devastated.He wrote a letter to his dad with his therapist. I haven't seen it. I was going to mail it this morning but I saw that he had put a lot more in the envelope including two comic books he's worked really hard on to create, letters to and from friends going back to elementary school, journal entries about a girl he likes, and other personal items. He wrote a note asking Frank to send the comics bank if he doesn't want them. I'm so worried he's going to get his heart broken when his father inevitably stops replying to him.Part of me wants to tell him to send the letter first, establish some contact, and then send the comics and letters. Some friends are saying he probably needs to send what he wants and experience it in his own. I understand needing to let him do this on his own, I'm Just so worried about him.Has anyone else dealt with this? Is there anything else I can be doing to help him. He knows he can talk to me and Bob whenever and we'll listen and support him. Thanks for any help. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2GnBXEw
No comments:
Post a Comment