Friday, 18 May 2018

How to I accept my overbearing MIL's overbearingness?


A different kind of in-law question I guess.My MIL is overbearing. She is a baby hog, she gives tons of unsolicited advice, thinks Grandma Knows Best in every situation, and just overall is an intense grandmother to be around. When I was a very, very new mom (baby was <6 months), this drove me completely crazy. I kind of hated her for it, if I'm totally honest.Now that my baby is almost a year old though, I'm trying to see things from her perspective. She is long distance and goes months without seeing her granddaughter. She feels valued when she is needed and wants to share her expertise (whether I think of it as expertise and/or agree with it...or not). She comes from a totally different generation and culture than I do, and that is evident in every action she takes and word she says. She means well, and only acts with love.Despite knowing this though, I feel possessive and sick to my stomach when I think of her next visit in a little less than a month. I'm worried that my distaste for her and how she acts around my daughter will ruin the trip from the offset, and continue a bad pattern in our relationship.So parents who had issues like this with in-laws, how did you overcome it, if only for your own sake and the sake of your child's relationship with a maybe a little annoying/intense but ultimately good family member? FWIW, I have clear cut boundaries and my husband is 100% on board with those, so that's not the issue. But I don't think it's healthy for me to resent my MIL for not being a more relaxed grandmother...how do I accept her as she is, rather than who I wish she was or think she should be? via /r/Parenting https://www.reddit.com/r/Parenting/comments/8kdsob/how_to_i_accept_my_overbearing_mils/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments:

Post a Comment