
First off, we're already in court where I am trying to increase time.We separated in 2013 and divorced in March of 2014 when our daughter was 23 months. While I was "awarded" Joint Decision Making custody, my parenting time order was the standard, shitty "award" of Alternating Friday to Monday and one weekday "dinner".Shortly after divorce in 2014, my ex decided she didn't like driving in the snow at night so she allowed me to convert the weekday dinner to an overnight. It's been that way since, but not officially modified on the order.Eventually, due to several promotions and a different work schedule, she needed to utilize more daycare. I said no. My job now allows me to have a flexible work from home schedule and I can take two extra half days off to watch her. So, thus I began picking my daughter up at noon, twice during the week. One of those days she stayed over, the other, her mom FORCED her to go home.This went on for 16 months.Illinois changed the child support laws to include both parents' incomes and shared time in the calculator. Long story short, if she didn't act quickly, she stood to lose the child support off the old formula $850/mo. In fact, since she went from making $50,000 when we divorced to over $100,000 currently, she would be paying me child support possibly. I don't make as much as her.So she did just that. Without me saying anything about child support, she removed nearly all the time not ordered to me officially.My daughter has been sad about it ever since.Every other Wednesday morning when I drop her at Kindergarten and sometimes the night before, she starts asking me who's going to pick her up tomorrow. The answer is her mom. She always asks, when do I get to come back over? I say, I will pick you up next Tuesday after school.She's at the point where she realizes how far away that is. She asks, why do I have to wait so long to come back? Why can't I just spend the same amount of days with you and mom? If I have to share, why can't you two share me?All this from a very bright, wonderfull six year old.My question to Reddit is: If you were a dad in my position, deep into litigation against a greedy ex, how would you respond?I've read all the parental alienation books and articles so I know what I'm not SUPPOSED to say. I wonder how many of you would have the self-discipline to actually carry out that formula?I mean, would any of you break the standard formula and maybe give her parts of the truth? I mean, the LAST thing I want is for her to grow up believing that I WANTED less time than her mom. I also find it difficult to LIE to her face with solidarity statements like "Your mom and I agree this schedule is what's best for you."I purposely withheld from this post what my actual responses are to her. I probably won't post them. I am hoping you all still provide your suggestions and rationale. Thanks! via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2rP0Vbt
No comments:
Post a Comment