
My son is going through the college application process. We are not eligible for need-based aid (income over $200k/year). We have discussed the financial angle of college and told our son that we will contribute up to $30,000 per year in tuition costs, and he needs to pay for his own living costs. We will cover any emergencies that arise.My wife and I feel this is more than fair, as we both paid our own way through school and spent many years paying back sizable student loan obligations. He will not be saddled with enormous loans, although he may have some debt if he chooses to live outside his means. I hope he will choose to work part-time and over the summer to finance his living expenses, but ultimately it is his choice if he would rather live off loans.My son is very upset, and believes that since we are able to fully finance his college years we have an obligation to. His arguments have been persuasive, and I am wondering if we should relent or come to some sort of compromise. How have other parents handled this? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2DSRBYB
No comments:
Post a Comment