Saturday, 20 January 2018

“I just want to say, you seem like a really good mom”


The kids and I rolled into the donut shop on our bicycles. We look like we just rolled out of bed. As my kids 7 and 8 are chowing down on donuts that would probably make them sick- we sat around teasing each other lovingly.I haven’t been the most attentive parent the last few months. I went through a breakup (not their father) that felt really disappointing and sent me into isolation. Sure I did the bare minimum but I was not present like I used to be. Now that I’m getting over my heartbreak I realized I haven’t been a good mom. I’ve been struggling with them to listen, they’ve been struggling with whining and not listening to the simplest of rules and what’s expected of them. Hygiene, homework, not fighting.So lately I felt like I’m just not cut out to be a mom. Being a single parent for most of their lives is frustrating for all of us.But today some nice elderly couple sat and watched our interaction over donuts. And as we cleaned up and prepared to take off on our bike rides home the lady said“ I just want you to know, you seem like you are doing a great job- it’s refreshing to see parents engage with their children” and I told them thank you, sometimes my kids don’t think so and we all chuckled.Originally I thought maybe they were judging me for allowing my kids to have giant donuts, and I looked like a metalhead who just rolled out of bed (yes I get looks often for this)I thanked them again and told them their kind words made my day and how much I appreciated it.And this positive reinforcement from strangers just made me feel like I was back on the right path for my children and I wanted to share just how elated kind words can make strangers feel. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2FXlYOr

No comments:

Post a Comment