Saturday, 20 January 2018

No, mom, my children do not need antibiotics for the flu!


I just hung up on my mother for the second time this week. We are all sick in my house. We have been since Monday. My older daughter is on the mend and the youngest still has a fever. First, my mom keeps asking if they are getting enough fluids. Yes. I make sure they are. But she pushes it like I am not being attentive. I told her that I am not a terrible mom and can take care of my own kids. Then today, she calls to see how we are. Little one has a 104°F temp. She got motrin and is sleeping next to me. My mom is insisting that I take her to the doctor immediately because that is too high of a fever and she is too sick. I told her, she is fine and doing better. If she is still sick on Monday I will be calling, as a fever for over week warrents a check, but that the flu lasts 7 to 10 days and medicine won't help. She tells me she doesn't agree and my daughter needs medicine. It is a virus! It has all the earmarks of virus. She is eating and drinking and resting. I don't think that I am a negligent parent for refusing to clutter up the ER for the flu that she is recovering from! If she showed signs of a secondary infection, was vomiting or had the runs, or couldn't eat or drink or if her fever didn't go down with meds, or issues breathing, we would go in ASAP. She has none of those. Her tummy is a little sour, she is tired and has a fever. My mom always had me on medication for every sniffle and now I have aquired an allergy to both penicillin and levoquin! My sister too! She is resting comfortably. I still have it too and was much worse. We are on the mend. I know that by Monday she will be herself because she has improved so much. My mom doesn't understand that antibiotic only help bacterial infections. If I drag the kid to the doctor they will send me home and tell me to do what I am doing. If it gets worse, of course I will call her doctor! I don't think I am wrong here. This virus has been working its way through the preschool and I have talked to other parents and they all has similar experiences. Am I being crazy for treating this at home? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2EW70qD

No comments:

Post a Comment