
My 8-year-old is playing youth basketball for the first time. They have played four games so far, and I notice that the coach only keeps him in for five minutes per game, usually in the first half (the games have two 20-minute halves). The majority of his team gets way more playing time than that. His team consists of 7-9 year olds. This is a regular recreational basketball league. Nothing competitive. At practices, the coaches don't teach them anything. All they do is let them shoot and point out where to stand on defense. Most of the other parents are "sideline coaches" who holler the whole game. These kids are just starting out playing on a team. How can he learn, develop, and most importantly, have fun if he is only playing in less than ten percent of the game? I think that 10 minutes per half would be more appropriate. There are only eight kids on the team, so its certainly doable. Should I say something to the coach about it? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2n1SSWj
No comments:
Post a Comment