
So, birds really freak me out.. I dont have a singular reason for this, but rather a handful of incidents from childhood that culminated in this fear. Spiders don't scare me, I think snakes are cute and sharks are fascinating but I truly just can't handle birds.This morning while me and my 3 year old were having our normal snuggles and cartoons session in my bed, unbeknownst to either of us, a bird got into the house via our doggie door and decided to take up residence in his room.When I finally got sick of team oomie zoomie, we decided to head to the kitchen and get going on breakfast, but first there was some toy he NEEDED to retrieve from his room. When we met back up in the kitchen he starts telling me about a bird in his room. He's been in this endearing phase where he tells me these elaborate tall tales and gets a good giggle from my exaggerated reactions, so I thought he was just making it up and to humor him I let him grab my hand and drag me to his doorway.Can we all see where this is going now?I feel like I should probably mention here that I'm a single parent, so it was just he and I (and now this demon tufted titmouse) in the house. I took one step into his room and the bird fluttered from the back of his chair to his windows curtain rod and I full on LOST IT. Screaming, I scooped my toddler up and sprinted to the kitchen to try and come up with a plan to get it the fuck out of my house.I was quite litterally shaking as I proped our front door open and returned to his room armed with safety goggles, a giant tupperware lid as a shield and an extra long grill spatula as my lance (just to shoo him towards his exit, not to beat him with. I have the utmost respect for animals and even though I don't like birds, I also don't want to KILL them.)My mission, while not pretty, WAS successful. There was a lot more screaming and body shakes than I would have preferred, but none the less the feathered bastard was gone.The rest of the morning was filled with my little dude saying over and over "I HATE BIRDS MAMA!" And ofcourse it took a bit longer than usual to get him down for a nap in his room.Now I just feel emmense guilt for creating this fear in him that he didnt have before and I don't know how to talk our way through it with him when I myself can't get over my OWN fear. via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2EQX5Fe
No comments:
Post a Comment