Friday, 18 May 2018

Differences in parenting styles between spouces


For background our child is 2.5 years old, and by most developmental/cognitive metrics is on par with a 3+ year old. I say that not to brag (we're 1st time parents, we haven't a clue what we're doing) but to give frame of reference.My spouse and I have different ways parenting. Not vastly, but it's becoming much more apparent. My spouse rarely says no, sets few boundaries, and is not one for consequences. I try to set reasonable, attainable boundaries, have what I consider appropriate consequences, and have to say "no" (and the reason behind why it's a "no") many times.As many of you know, this state in a child's life is allllll about pushing boundaries, and learning what is appropriate (eating with a fork, saying please, having fun) and what is not (pulling the cat's tail, stabbing electrical outlets, eating leaves).The issue becomes painfully obvious when it's my child and me alone; they are an absolute delight to be with. Well behaved, polite, curious, empathetic, playful, just a joy to be with. However, when my spouse is present, they almost become a completely different child. Tantrums, spiteful, and willfully acting inappropriately. Similarly, my spouse is now 90% of the time the "go-to" parent (not default, mind you) due to the what I believe to be fact that they are much more lenient with our child. Many times my spouse just gets so deflated and burned out just from the tantrums and pushing from what I believe is a result of our child exploiting my spouse. I don't know how the two of them are alone, as it doesn't happen frequently, but from what I gather is not on the same order of magnitude as when we're both present.What are some ways to deal with this, both parental and spousal? I don't want to approach it as "you do things differently than me, ergo you are wrong", and I'm fully cognizant of the fact that much of this behavior may be our child pitting us against each other, or finding the weakest link to get what they (our child) wants. Further, I don't want to be the ONLY authority figure, promoting the "good cop/bad cop" dynamic. Thanks! via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2rTGiKs

No comments:

Post a Comment