Thursday, 17 May 2018

At what point do you pursue an ADHD diagnosis?


I want to start by saying that I don't want a diagnosis to medicate. I would only want one to give my son supports he needs in school. I also am a middle school teacher so I know how much a 504 plan can help kids.My 7 year old (almost done with second grade) does well in school. He's finishing at grade level for reading and has worked in the higher level math group all year. His teacher put him in the higher level spelling group for the last quarter and he did well. The only issue she has had with him is his inability to focus. He is very easily distracted. His teacher talked about how he was the first one to finish his rough draft of his poem but was the last on to finish the final copy. He kept getting distracted. If left on his own he often won't get any work done. If he has the teacher there reminding him then he will get it done. It's not that it's too hard or he can't do it. He just needs constant redirection to make sure he stays on track. He'll stop when he is reading because it reminds him of something else and he has to tell someone about it.He also can't sit still. He'll take pencils out of his desk and will make them fight. He'll use a pencil and an eraser to play baseball while waiting for others to finish. If he isn't given something to do, he can't just sit quietly and wait. We have him in soccer and hoped that would help. He is focused in soccer.I know some of this is normal and none scream ADHD, but I feel like I can tell that something is off. I have a lot of experience with students who have ADHD. I also know that he's on the young side for a diagnosis. He doesn't turn 8 until August. I don't want to push for a diagnosis too young. With that said, I have a 9 year old who was diagnosed with dyslexia this year and wish we would have gotten a diagnosis sooner. How do you know when to pursue? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2k3WbKB

No comments:

Post a Comment