
My mom lives across the country from me. We talk on the phone quite often, but’s she’s only truly met her granddaughter (6mo) twice.She has always worked in HR, but the past couple of years it’s been in a hospital setting. She hires nurses and docs so of course by proxy she believes herself to be a physician.It seems every conversation now includes some of her medical “advice”. What’s even worse is she talks about my medical issues (I recently had surgery) and my daughters health (she is an incredibly healthy baby) with the nurses she sees at work. These are Nurses - not docs- who have never seen me or my daughter. They don’t have any medical history besides whatever my mother tells them (which isn’t much), yet they give medical advice. Much of it has been contrary to our actual (wonderful) doctors say.Of course I don’t listen. But it infuriates me that she does this at all. Today she told me I was feeding my child wrong. In the past I’ve heard: I’m not giving her enough pain med (Motrin- I haven’t given any), I’m not burping her enough, I’m wrong for exclusively breastfeeding, and I’m not letting her learn to self soothe when I tend her crying.Also it’s important to note she was a terrible mother. She was distant and careless in my younger years. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2BnmLEB
No comments:
Post a Comment