
So my almost five year old daughter has developed a habit I really do not like of using saying "I love you" or using affection as a way to manipulate situations.Usually when some undesired limitation has been placed on her, like if I say 'ok we played together now I'm going to read and you need to play alone,' or she is told it's time for quiet in the room and to stop talking, yelling, making animal noises, whatever.She will be quiet or leave me be for maybe 1-3 minutes and then comes the "I love you, mom." Or "can I have a hug?"I never know how to handle this, because invariably when she gets a favorable response of me saying it back or giving a hug, she seems to take it like it means the quiet time or time alone is concluded.A lot of times I'll say, "I love you too, it's still quiet time" but then the cycle will repeat and I feel bad to have the kid saying I love you and to ignore her or respond coldly with, 'ok I told you to be quiet in here, now go upstairs,' that feels rotten in response to the kid saying I love you..And I think she is well aware of this. And that's why she is choosing to say it, because it's hard to shut someone down like that and it often gets her her way.So what would you all do? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2DoK9n7
No comments:
Post a Comment