
I'll get straight to the point. Our guy has always shown an interest in bright/effeminate clothing. For example, he's got lots of pairs of bright coloured leggings with hearts etc. We have always tried to be open about what he is exposed to so he doesn't feel limited in what he can wear or play with. I've always bought him a variety of clothes second hand and he chooses what he wants to wear. He's worn everything he's got to daycare and it's never a problem. Occasionally he'll get a comment from another kid saying, "why's he wearing girl pants?" and I explain that it doesn't have to be for girls and that he's wearing them because he loves them. On the bright side, her comment didn't even seem to faze him.Today I took him to the consignment store so he could pick for himself. I told him there were two places to find clothes his size in the store. We first went to the boy aisle where he picked a few things. Then I took him to the girl aisle.. and he went nuts. He was really excited! He picked out a lot of stuff. I had to limit him to 10 items total, but within that he got a skirt, 2 tutus and a bunch more leggings. So while he's always had some girly stuff, we're at another level now with the tutus and skirts.For the first time I did feel some anxiety about it because I worry what will happen at daycare. I worry that some of the other kids might tease him or make comments. I don't want anyone to make him feel bad for his choices.That said, I realize that while it will likely happen at some point, the anxiety that I feel about it is about me and not him. So the approach that I feel we should take is to just let him do his thing and be supportive. It's our job to be his safe harbour when stuff like that happens. Kids get teased for all kinds of reasons, and we don't anticipate all of them up front. We just be there for them and show them love and support and do our best to empower them.My husband too is feeling anxiety. He's not worried about our son in any way except for his fears about other kids teasing him. He thinks that we should warn our son before he goes to daycare so he can decide whether or not he wants to wear his new stuff. He thinks that it's our duty to prepare him for what might happen at daycare. I disagree because I want him to be able to wear what he wants to without factoring what people might think into the decision.I feel really uncomfortable with any kind of compromise on this. I personally have a long history of trauma and therapy, and I'm currently studying to be a psychotherapist. I know both from personal experience and academic study the relationship between personal authenticity, strength, and mental health. Warning my son feels very contrary to my values.Any thoughts? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2rut1e8
No comments:
Post a Comment