Wednesday, 22 November 2017

Relentless potty humor with my 5 year old


I vividly remember when I was my sons age, my cousin and I finding “diarrhea” hilarious and joking about it often. So the potty humor wasn’t something I was dreading, in fact, I knew I’d probably even laugh at a fart or two.However, my son is 5 1/2 and “poop” is on his mind 24/7. Within minutes of waking up, he’s making poop comments and laughing hysterically at himself. It’s not so different from when I was in my 20s and the drunk friend on the verge of passing out would chatter obsessively about god knows what. The stuff coming out of my sons mouth isn’t funny and more often than not, makes zero sense. Like he’ll randomly say, “Is there poop in my meatballs?” (despite not having meatballs for months) then will fall to the floor laughing at himself, and then add, “Isn’t that funny Mom? Poop in my meatballs! Right, Mom? That’s so funny. Mom? Mommmmmmy?!?!?”Even if this was happening half the time, or three quarters of the time, I could handle it. But I feel like I can’t have a single serious conversation with him for more than 60 seconds before the poop antics start and I miss talking to my son! And I’ve tried everything to curb the behavior. From joining in and coming up with something that makes even less sense (which is actually pretty hard!), to politely laughing, ignoring him, calmly explaining to him I don’t find it funny, changing the subject, explaining that it makes me feel frustrated, asking him what else is funny and on a few occasions, demanding he quit it or there will be consequences. None of it has worked.Is there anything I can do to reduce the potty humor or is my only option to grin and bare it until he grows out of it? If the latter, please tell me that will happen soon. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2zs9r5L

No comments:

Post a Comment