Wednesday, 22 November 2017

10 year old tracking growth curve, but doctor is still concerned. Should we be?


To start off, my husband and I are both on the shorter side. He is about 5'6 and I'm 5'0. We also both come from relatively short families and shorter (different) ethnic backgrounds. We weren't exactly expecting our kids to be giants.All of our kids are on the shorter side and always have been. This has never been cause for concern. They stayed on their growth curve and are healthy and happy.Our doctor recently brought up some concerns with our 10 year old son. He is 4'1 and weighs 52 pounds. He is small but still tracking along his normal growth curve. He plays sports, eats healthy, and is an overall normal active boy. His doctor mentioned today that he might be HGH deficient. This has never been brought up before and caught us off guard. He will be seeing a specialist next week to get an evaluation.I'm freaking out a little. I thought that as long as a kid is tracking their normal growth, doctor's aren't concerned? He plays soccer and flag football and is able to keep up with the other boys. He has a diverse diet and never had any eating problems. His doctor mentioned potentially having to inject him with shots every night to help him grow. He mentioned that our son may go through puberty later than normal. I'm just not sure what to think. Has anyone had this happen and not have it be a problem? Aren't some kids just short, especially if they don't have tall parents? Should we be more concerned here? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2A69QrN

No comments:

Post a Comment