Wednesday, 22 June 2016

Behavior issues with 12 year old daughter.


I have a 12-year-old daughter that I am having some behavior issues with. Her mom and I have been divorced for 4 years, both have remarried and I have a child with my new wife. I have joint custody of her, everything is 50/50 between my ex-wife when it comes to our children. She spends 1 week at my house and then a week at her mom’s. The best way to describe the issues we have is my daughter is lazy. I feel that she does not put forth effort towards anything. Her grades in school are suffering. Her teachers come back and say she could be a great student if she applied effort. When it comes to her chores, she never completes them all the way. Takes shortcuts, puts up dirty dishes. She is a bed wetter and would rather sleep on peed on sheets than wash them. I feel that I’ve tried several different approaches with this kid and none seem to be having any sort of effect. I’ve sat with her and do the dishes with her so she knows the correct way to do it and it still doesn’t matter. She also has a bad habit of taking things that do not belong to her and then lying about it. At first (a few years ago) it was her going to the lost and found and claiming things as her own that aren’t really hers. Most recently someone left a camelback water bottle in her classroom which she brought home and wrote her name on it as if it was her own. When asked about it, she comes up with different stories about how she got it. We’ve taken her to see a counselor, and she knows what she is doing is wrong but nothing changes. She still exhibits the same behavior. I’ve tried different punishments such as writing assignments, making her apologize and return the items she’s taken, grounded her, etc. Right now we’ve stripped her down to bare essentials. Taken away almost everything except for a couple books, a couple days’ changes of clothes and personal hygiene items. It has been 4-5 weeks of that and she still has no desire to change. It is really hurting the relationship between her and my wife (her step mom) because she constantly lies to her and has broken trust. I feel like I am just ready to give up, I have no idea what else to do with this kid. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/28MJziY

No comments:

Post a Comment