Wednesday, 22 June 2016

Abuse? Abnormal parenting? What the heck did I just witness?


Went to visit family this week. Mind you, this is not a side of the family I see very often. I went for just my grandmother and while I was there a cousin of mine asked if I could come visit her for a few hours and meet her 2 year old. I figured why not? Grandma goes to sleep early and it'd be nice to meet up with my cousin and meet her kiddo.Well, the kiddo isn't actually her's. The kiddo belongs to her adult daughter who is in and out of jail and can't care for her kids. All three of her kids were split up and the youngest went with her mom (my cousin).Short background: my cousin had her children taken away from her over 20 years ago for child abuse and was deemed unworthy to parent by the state. So I'm a little confused as to how she's being allowed to hold on to her grandchild at this point... but apparently it was authorized and allowed by a judge who decided she had now changed her ways and was successfully married and rehabilitated for several years.I was watching the baby play in the living room while talking and catching up to my cousin when the baby threw a toy and screamed at the top of her lungs. My cousin's husband just nonchalantly picked up a squirt bottle (like something you'd use to discipline a cat) and squirted it three times in the toddler's face and made her stand in a corner.Am I right to view this as at least minor abuse? I got very upset and scolded them for spraying her directly in the face like that and left pretty angrily. How the hell does the thought to do something like that enter a person's head? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/28Usqpg

No comments:

Post a Comment